|Cheesy Popcorn Bread
Cheesy Popcorn Bread
Yield: 9 squares
- 4 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded jack or pepper jack cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild, diced green chilies, drained, optional
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Process the popcorn in a blender or food processor until finely ground.
- Pour ground popcorn into a large bowl and stir in corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt until blended.
- Beat egg, milk and vegetable oil together in a small bowl and stir into popcorn mixture just until blended.
- Scatter cheese and chilies, if desired, over batter and stir just until evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned at edges and tester comes out clean.
- Cut into squares to serve.